My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light.
Edna St. Vincent Millay, "A Few Figs from Thistles", 1920US poet (1892 - 1950)
Have been speed-reading a couple of books by James Lovelock on the Gaia hypothesis the past 2 weeks to prepare for a book review presentation in Oceanography class, and the second book ended with this lovely poem. Lots of thoughts bounce around in my head right now, which I'll try to write down after my review session on Monday. Suffice to say that despite a slow start in which I thought I would flounder through the whole semester drowning in modelling jargon and shiploads of data, it has been a really interesting exploration through climate change and planetary systems and I found myself gradually looking forward to class each week. In the meantime, keep your candles burning bright!!

Comments

Jeffrey said…
Are candles more environmentally friendly than electric lights?

Popular posts from this blog

New shoes!

Whale sharks in Singapore?