It's been eventful, to say the least. Never thought an Easter weekend could be so packed. Went for my second critical mass ride on Good Friday, and met the person who sold me my bike again. He seemed rather surprised that I was still riding it, causing me a small measure of concern for a brief moment...Also the day I got knighted, as my rear tire went completely flat on the return leg to the Mellow Mushroom (thus, Sir Rides-a-Flat). Had to walk the last three blocks back- told Wai to order pizza for me while waiting :P. But at least I had company, in the form of a fellow rider who had detoured into the fairground to get funnel cake. After wolfing down a medium pizza, headed over to the dance studio to learn some swing! After doing all the stately tango, salsa and whatnot, was a little hard to start bouncing around the floor like a battery-operated bunny, but had a pretty good workout.
Since my mega-night ride was foiled by the flat, had to make up for it by riding to campus on Saturday morning. Rolling around the pontoons of a marina looking for fouling invertebrates is definitely my idea of weekend fun :). A little break at home to wash off the mud, before heading to Castle Hayne for contra dance. Somehow, over the past few months, have seemed to gotten totally into this dance... I still like all my latin dances, but contra is so forgiving, especially to people like me who don't take dance seriously enough to go for pro-pah lessons. Unfortunately for the gals, a large group of youths showed up, and gender ratio was kinda skewed. Sat out a few dances and had to dance with women wearing ties a couple of times. Maybe I should be more thick-skinned and just ask girls to dance with me next time, whether I'm a good leader or not.
What did I do on Sunday? Well, not ruminating on my life for sure. Met up with the local newspaper's reporter at the bike park, did a little interview together with WW and W, and planned to 2 full laps of Blue Clay! That is, until I chickened out on a downhill section on the hilly side, slammed my brakes at the bottom, and caused my pedals to run a gash down my right calf. Did 1 more lap after patching up and having a sandwich! My other name would be Sir Bleeds-a-lot, since I seem to collect scars from my pedals every ride.
Was pretty psyched about Sunday evening, first had a sumptuous Easter dinner at Andrea's beautiful house, and then a whole bunch of us did the sacrilegious thing and watched the musical version of 'Debbie Does Dallas'. Totally hilarious :D.
More rolling around the pontoons on windy and chilly Monday (well, most of the time I was huddled trying to reduce surface area exposed to wind), atchoo! And I can recognise Styela plicata pretty well by now. Did a whole lot of baking with TDB for various birthdays and events coming up, and just went for a much better time at contra!
Thursday leaving for a mountain bike camp at Pisgah. Which sounds totally awesome :). Will just have to find some time to catch my breath in between everything!
(and yes, I do actually do work despite all that is going on....)


Popular posts from this blog

One turkey, one week's worth of meals

Habitat training- weekend