It's bakin' in here!

Hey, I almost forgot all the great things you can do with an oven, aside from inefficiently toasting bread. First up, is a Spanish tortilla, kinda like a baked potato omelette. The great thing about it, is that you can customise it by adding whatever vegetables are in season!

First, pan fry the sliced potatoes and onions with garlic till browned and fragrant. Set that aside and then pre-heat the oven to 300 deg F. In another bowl, beat eggs, season with salt and pepper (I added crushed red pepper for more kick, you can use fresh sliced chili too), and mix in peas, peppers and whatever else you like. Place the potato and onion mixture in a well-greased baking dish. Make sure it's really greased up! I spent 3 days scrubbing my dish out afterwards! I layered sliced mushrooms on top before pouring the egg mixture over. Bake for 40min, sprinkle shredded cheese on top, and bake for 5min or until cheese melts. Serve warm with a tangy salad on the side!

And dessert! Walmart was selling a bag of apples of US$2, which is half the price ordinarily. I didn't expect myself to eat a whole bag before it starts rotting, so I made an apple crumble for sweet cravings at night! In fact, I baked it at 11pm!

This is one of my fave baked apple desserts 'cos it's so simple! Rub some butter into flour, mix with brown sugar and cinnamon, press the mixture into a dish of cubed apples and bake. It's incredibly good when served hot with vanilla ice-cream. Works better with tart apples (I used Golden Delicious), the red ones are too sweet. Any other apple ideas?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New shoes!

Whale sharks in Singapore?